If you're interested in landing a job in the cannabis industry, New York is a great place to start.
Here is a comprehensive guide on how to find and land your first cannabis job in New York:
1. Highlight your transferable skills
When applying for cannabis jobs, be sure to highlight the skills that are transferable from your current profession. For example, if you're a customer service representative, you can highlight your customer service skills and ability to work with people. Or, if you're a marketing professional, you can highlight your marketing skills and ability to promote and sell products and services.
2. Network with professionals in the cannabis industry
Networking is a great way to learn about job opportunities and transition into the cannabis industry. Attend industry events and connect with people on LinkedIn. You can also reach out to people who work in the cannabis industry directly and ask them for information about their jobs and how they got started.
Here are some networking events held throughout the year:
- Cannabis World Conference & Expo
- MJBizCon New York
- Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference
- New York Cannabis Expo
- Women Grow
- Minorities 4 Cannabis
- National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA) Events
- New York Cannabis Council (NYCC) Events
- Cannabis Business Association of New York (CBAN) Events
3. Get educated about the cannabis industry
Take some time to learn about the cannabis industry, including the different types of jobs available and the regulatory landscape. This will make you more attractive to potential employers. There are a number of online resources and courses available that can help you learn about the cannabis industry.
Here is a list of current cannabis courses in New York:
- SUNY Morrisville: This university offers a specialty crops & cannabis production certificate program as well as a cannabis industry minor.
- Medgar Evers College: This college offers a minor in cannabis education, which covers a variety of topics related to the cannabis industry.
- New York University: This university offers a certificate in business of cannabis program.
- Syracuse University: This university offers a certificate program in the business of cannabis, cannabis law and policy, cannabis healthcare and medicine, and cannabis agriculture and horticulture.
Niagara Community College: This college offers a horticulture certificate and AAS degree, as well as cannabis cultivation, cannabis manufacturing/processing, and cannabis business micro credentials.
4. Find cannabis jobs in New York
There are a number of ways to find cannabis jobs in New York. Here are a few tips:
Job boards: There are a number of job boards that specialize in cannabis jobs. Some popular options include:
- Social media: Many cannabis companies are active on social media. Following them on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram is a great way to learn about job openings and company culture.
- Cannabis Dispensaries: Interested in working in a New York Cannabis Dispensary? Here are the Top 10
Company websites: Many cannabis companies list their job openings on their websites. Be sure to check the websites of companies that you're interested in working for on a regular basis.
Here are some examples of growing cannabis companies. Check their websites to see if they are hiring:
- Acreage Holdings
- Columbia Care
- Cresco Labs
5. Apply for cannabis jobs
Once you've found some cannabis jobs that you're interested in, it's time to start applying. Be sure to tailor your resume and cover letter to each job you apply for. Highlight your transferable skills and experience that are most relevant to the specific job you're applying for.
6. Prepare for your job interview
If you're lucky enough to get an interview for a cannabis job, be sure to prepare. Research the company you're interviewing with and practice answering common interview questions. You should also be prepared to answer questions about your knowledge of the cannabis industry and why you're interested in working in the industry.
7. Follow up after your job interview
After your job interview, be sure to send a thank-you note to the interviewer. This is a polite way to show your appreciation for their time and to reiterate your interest in the position.
Landing your first cannabis job in New York can be challenging, but it's definitely possible. By following the tips above, you can increase your chances of success. Good luck!