CBG for Athletes: What does the Research Say?
CBG has become a household name for its CBD-level restorative benefits. Research shows it can help enhance motivation, regulate sleep, alleviate pain and inflammation and even stimulate bone growth. CBG also promotes new neuron development, leading to better memory and increased focus. CBG’s breadth of benefits make it an incredible therapeutic, especially for athletes whose lifestyle requires intense focus, injury prevention, and pain management.
Learn about the differences between CBG vs CBD
Here we’ll review CBG and why athletes are turning to the compound as a natural performance and recovery tool.
What is CBG, and how does it work?
CBG, short for cannabigerol, is one of over 100 cannabinoids naturally produced in hemp and cannabis plants. Similar to CBD, CBG has no psychoactive effects, so it will not make you high.
CBG works like other cannabinoids by interacting with receptors in your body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). The communication between CBG and these chemical receptors keeps the body in an optimal, balanced state.
Most cannabinoids, like THC, prefer to bind with one primary ECS receptor. However, CBG binds directly to CB1 and CB2 receptors throughout your central nervous system and immune system. This full body synergy indicates CBG has powerful potential to exhibit various benefits ranging from pain relief to stronger bones to stress reduction.
Why would athletes want to use CBG Oil?
CBG oil offers many benefits for athletes’ mental and physical wellness. Although CBG does not produce psychoactive effects like THC, researchers say it fires up various cannabinoid receptors in the ECS. For example, CBG enhances levels of the endocannabinoid anandamide, aka the “bliss molecule.” For athletes, the relationship between CBG and anandamide can help improve performance by boosting motivation, concentration, and even energy levels.
Athletes can also use CBG to fight inflammation and anxiety, leading to better performance and helping with post-workout recovery. Additional reported benefits include:
- Anxiety: Helps athletes stay calm and relaxes muscles for improved performance.
- Focus Allows athletes to tune out noise and tune into their workouts.
- Pain and inflammation: Alleviates some of the effects of exercise and its toll on the body.
- Stress: Helps athletes stay in the right mindset during game days and training sessions.
- Sleep: Promotes better sleep, an essential factor in muscle recovery.
Immunity: Can help athletes fight off bacterial infections.
CBG research: What makes CBG effective for athletes?
Research into CBG’s therapeutic properties reveals a lot about its potential to help athletes feel and perform better.
- CBG for inflammation: Studies show that CBG binds to CB2 receptors, which can suppress the release of cytokines, molecules that help cells talk with each other and regulate inflammation in the central nervous system. An animal study on mice shows CBG derivatives can reduce inflammation, pain, and obesity.
- CBG for pain: CBD and THC display pain-relieving effects, but early research shows CBG may be even more effective. According to one study, CBG binds with different receptors in the ECS and might mitigate anxiety and pain more directly than CBD and THC.
- CBG for brain health and focus: Animal studies show CBG offers neuroprotective properties, which can improve focus and potentially address ADHD symptoms.
- CBG for bone growth: According to early scientific research, CBG might stimulate bone growth through its interaction with the ECS, which could help prevent injury.
- CBG for sleep: Early research shows CBG can be sleep-friendly. In a 2021 survey, 73% of survey respondents said CBG-dominant cannabis strains were more effective than conventional medicines for insomnia.
CBG as antimicrobial: Researchers at McMaster University found that CBG effectively kept mice resilient to MRSA, the drug-resistant bacteria that causes staph infections.
What are the best CBG delivery methods for athletes?
The best ways to consume CBG oil for maximum bio-absorption are:
- Sublingually (under the tongue)
- Orally (via food, drinks, and edibles)
- Topically (lotions)
Each method offers distinct benefits and drawbacks, so athletes should choose CBG products based on their particular wellness goals.
Athletes seeking rapid pain relief after an intense workout or a fast-acting stress reliever before a game should consider sublingual CBG.
How to use sublingual CBG oil:
A few drops of CBG oil under the tongue rapidly absorb into the bloodstream and begin working in about 15 minutes. The effects generally last 2-3 hours.
CBG taken orally will take longer to kick in (about 45 minutes) because it must pass through the liver before entering the bloodstream. However, the effects will last longer than sublingual oils (up to 7 hours).
An easy way to consume CBG orally is through edibles. This method is helpful for athletes who want to treat ongoing pain and inflammation. It can also benefit those who don’t want to re-dose often, such as when trying to get a full night’s sleep.
Athletes struggling with muscle soreness and inflamed skin can apply topical CBG salves directly to their skin. CBG won’t reach the bloodstream this way, but it can interact with receptors on the skin to provide localized relief.
What are the best CBG oil dosages?
Unfortunately, research doesn’t offer straightforward instructions on the proper doses of CBG oil. As with other cannabinoids, CBG dosing is a personal affair that often comes down to trial and error. How much CBG to use depends on many factors, such as:
- Baseline health
- Underlying conditions
- Cannabinoid experience
The excellent news is that organic CBG oil shows little to no side effects and is proven well-tolerated, even in high doses. Although there are no universal dosing guidelines, athletes new to CBG should always start with lower doses and wait to see how they react to the effects before increasing levels. Athletes should also consider their reason for using CBG. For example, some instances require lower amounts, such as mental focus, whereas CBG dosages for anxiety and sleep are typically higher.
CBG doses generally fall between 2 to 10 mg per serving on the lower end and 25 mg per serving on the higher end. For muscle recovery, the industry consensus is that athletes can start with 2.5 to 25 mg of CBG post-workout to feel relief.
What type of CBG oil should athletes use?
Athletes can take advantage of pure CBG oil isolates or opt for full-spectrum products depending on their goals and preferences.
- Pure CBG Isolate: Pure CBG oil or “isolate” is made strictly from CBG and contains no other cannabinoids or terpenes.
- CBG and CBD blend: One of the most common blends is CBG and CBD. This oil has a specific ratio of CBG and CBD isolate, such as 2:1, and contains no other cannabinoids and terpenes.
- Full spectrum CBG oil: This oil contains the plant’s full range of cannabinoids and terpenes, which work with CBG to enhance the product’s effects. Full spectrum oils also contain trace THC levels, but not enough to produce psychotropic effects.
- Broad spectrum CBG oil: Broad-spectrum oils contain the plant’s full chemical profile except for THC
Athletes who want to avoid any THC levels should seek pure CBG isolate or broad-spectrum CBG oil, perhaps for drug-testing purposes. However, athletes who want to maximize the therapeutic benefits should look for organic CBG oil that harness hundreds of healing compounds–all synergizing to amplify the effects.
The Bottom Line
Although current CBG research isn’t as extensive as THC and CBD, it points to numerous therapeutic benefits for athletes, such as managing inflammation and pain, improving sleep, and increasing energy. Medical Mike’s CBG oils offer athletes full-spectrum formulas to achieve heightened therapeutic effects. Medical Mike’s products also undergo third-party testing to ensure cannabinoid content and safety, so athletes can find the perfect dosage from a trusted brand.
Medical Mikes is a New York based hemp company located in Tarrytown NY.
Fast delivery to all 50 states.
Medical Mikes also produces full spectrum CBN oil and organic CBD oil.